Monday, January 21, 2013

2012 was not one for the ages




It's not that it has taken me this long to get around to doing my annual review of my past year's riding, it's more a case that 2012 wasn't really anything for me to crow about. I've long since given up setting goals - given how infrequently I tend to hit them it's a bit of an exercise in futility. For what it's worth, here's the year that was in a nutshell.

All up I rode 4,008km last year. That's somewhat consistent with my result in the previous couple of years, which are themselves down about 2000km on average because I'm doing a lot less Audax riding in Tasmania than I did in Victoria. (Something to do with the terrain!) On the bright side, my average speed is up a shade from 19.6km/h to 20.3km/h, which might be a sign I'm getting faster or it might be assign I'm not doing as many hard rides. Or neither or both, who can tell? There were only 68 rides, an average of 32km long. I blame work. I didn't have time to train for the Alpine Classic, which also meant I wasn't fit for the Oppy. As it ended up I couldn't get the time off work anyway. Does it sound like I need a new job or what? As a plus I finally cracked he 40,000km mark since I took up cycling again a few years back. Some people probably do that in two.

What is interesting is how small the daily and weekly differences are between good and bad years, of couple of kilometers a day or a handful a week. Something to keep in mind in 2013.


No comments: