Thursday, October 19, 2006

Isn't it always the way?

Well the new bike and wheels have arrived, naturally the day before I head interstate for a couple of days! I had just enough time to move the major parts across - without ceremony - from the faithful Long Haul Trucker last night, but no time to put the chain on and install the brake and gear cables, so the first test ride will not be until Sunday.

My first impressions of the Surly Cross Check are all good. I'm not necessarily slavishly devoted to this brand of bike, but they do offer no-nonsense steel frames at a good price. It's a good-looking frame in a retro way. It reminds me very much of my first steel road bike from the early 1908s. It will make a good audax bike once I hang lights and mudguards on it.

The other good news is that I've definitely picked the right size. The frame is also a bit lighter than I expected. The paint job, in British racing green, appares to be of excellent quality. But the devil in these sort of things is always in the detail: how well the 10 speed rear cluster will shift with a triple crank and how quickly I can get it all working comfortably. I'm very much looking forward to that test ride.

No comments: